Monday 25 July 2011

High Voltage 2011 - Sunday



Love Fungus ... I saw James May and thought this could be a laugh, but he wasn't in the band. They started playing then the singer opened his mouth and the noise had the same impact as standing next to someone with terminal halitosis. We reeled backward (almost spilt my pint) and headed for Metal Stage.  

Saw the first two numbers from the Furyon.

They were that good, we headed for the Prog Rock Stage. To be fare they weren't that bad it was just that someone had suggested we see Pallas!


Not sure I'll be taking suggestions from them again. Anyway headed off to see a favorite band of mine Heaven's Basement.  I'd first seen these at the Bar Fly in Camden early in 2009. Different line up now sound similar sing some of the same songs but different. I have to admit that while I like'd the voice of the original lead singer this new guy puts so much energy into it I hope it comes good for them. 

I saw them earlier this year doing an acoustic set (Download in the rain) The lead singer wore a Led Zep T shirt and the wove some Pink Floyed into the tunes - with pedigrees like that ...


Anyway after that (via the real ale tent) to Metal Stage to see The Treatment.. Talk about nostalgia!
This was like watching the Heaven's basement from two years ago. The two lead guitars, the talent and the long climb. There are several bands out there called the Treatment including a very good Brummy blues band so be careful if you look for them.


Gentlemen's Pistols  were next on the Metal Stage. Probably the best Metal/Hammer band I saw this weekend. 

No wonder I was thirsty all this walking --- back to the Main Stage for Michael Schenker
There is no pleasing some people and I fond it totally underwhelming. Some nice (very nice) bits but as a set it had all the right ingredients but...

 And then Thunder - A bit older but somehow fresher for the break. An absolutely 5* performance.

Also saw Black Country Communion - a band I need to here more of.

Finally headed off to see a bit of Jethro Tull. I'm not a great lover of Mr Tull's work, but he has produced pieces that are amongst may favourites and I hadn't seen him live. He didn't disappoint, but I think all the walking (and possibly the beer) had taken its toll and I headed off before the end.



No comments: