Wednesday 16 April 2014

Samsung Galaxy S5 - reviews

This is not a review of the S5 but a summary of the reviews.

First the positive things they say:


  1. Brighter screen
  2. Sharper screen
  3. Ultra power saving
  4. Fast picture taking 0.3 seconds

Secondly the "yeah, but is it really important?"


  1. Its got a bigger screen - 0.1inch, (that's diagonally) wow!
  2. Faster processor - because I really have a problem waiting for it to process stuff. Maybe if you use it for a lot of photography or video. Editing  and on the fly posting to social media. Are your friends having fun while you're staring at you mobile phone manipulating the photo?
  3. 16Mp camera (vice 13Mp camera). - A 13Mp camera sensor is 3.61 x 3.61Mp. a 16Mp has a sensor 4 x 4Mp - you wont notice the difference of a 10% increase in picture quality. 30% maybe, 50% probably, 100% definitely.
  4. It has a plastic body that makes it look cheap compared to its rivals - It spend most of its time in your pocket or bag. Who gives a shit apart from the vaine posers.
  5. Fingerprint sensor? - frustrating when you're in a rush (hands dirty or at the wrong angle) an the bloody this decides its not going to open until you get it juts right.
  6. Fitness monitor? - get off the phone and do some exercise you will feel better. Do you really need a bit of technology to confirm it?


    Thirdly what they don't say, but I think is important.

    1. How does it work as a phone?
      1. Can I get a signal in poor areas?
      2. Can I hear the other person?
      3. Can they hear me?
      4. What about background noise?
    2. How good is the Bluetooth?
    3. How good is the WiFi?
      1. Is it more sensitive to distant WiFi hot spots? My S2 barely works in my house but my iPad connects from a 20 meters down the road. WiFi is important to me as it is generally more bandwidth and therefore faster (nothing to do with processing power) and it avoids Mobile Network charges.
    4. How good is the predictive text and can I turn the bugger off if its crap?
    Personally I'm going to wait for the much rumored new iPhone before making a decision to upgrade my aging S2.



    No comments: