Thursday 19 June 2014

Chrome Stopped Loading Pages

Chrome Stopped Loading Pages Yesterday between PC booting in the morning and working OK and booting in the afternoon not loading.

I read an awful lot of web sites over the past 20 hours and watched a number of YouTube videos before I eventually solved my problem. There maybe several reasons why this happens but this one took me so long to find that I thought I'd post it in case someone was going through the same haystack.

Symptoms

What’s working?

I have Chrome in my “start up” and it opens with my home page (web mail) I can read mails and navigate around that domain. I can create a duplicate tab with the same capabilities.
I can open/follow links from within web emails and they open new tabs. Once these new sites are open I can navigate within the site, but not outside. i.e. right click and select Open in New Tab gives “Loading” etc
All other web browsers work.

What’s not working?
  1. If I create a new tab and copy the web address from my web mail (or other web site) into the new tab I get “Loading” and eventually a pop up saying “Page(s) Unresponsive” with “Untitled” as the page name.
  2. If I try to navigate away to a new site or load an HTML from my local drive (so it’s NOT a firewall issue) it hangs with “Loading” and eventually a pop up saying “Page(s) Unresponsive” with “Untitled” as the page name.
  3. If I close Chrome and reopen it won’t open my home page I get “Loading” and eventually a pop up saying “Page(s) Unresponsive” with “Untitled” as the page name.
  4. I can’t access “Settings”, “About”, “History”, Downloads or any other menu item that displays as a web page as I get “Loading” and eventually a pop up saying “Page(s) Unresponsive” with “Untitled” as the page name.
What I tried
  1. Firewall settings
  2. Uninstalling and installing Chrome (with reboot between)
  3. Adding “ -no-sandbox” and variations suggested, to the file location
  4. Full scan for malware
  5. Checked I’ve got the latest drivers
  6. Tried downloading and using Chrome Canary (same results) 
  7. The only success was that Chrome works in “safe mode”
  8. I’d updated graphic and other divers all to no avail.
  9. I then read about Malwarebytes and anti-malware. This found more malware than my previous software (Glary Utilities) and quarantining them, + a reboot, solved the problem.
Always the last thing you try by definition but if I'd have done this first off it would have taken about 20 minutes rather than 20 hours to solve.

Tech Specs
  1. Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
  2. Google - Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153
  3. 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4670
  4. 16334 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
  5. Microsoft - Malware Protection Version 4.5.0216.0 (64-bit)
  6. Microsoft - Security Client Version 4.5.0216.0 (64-bit)

No comments: