Thursday 30 April 2015

Supermarkets - Which is cheaper?

The simple answer is none. They've all moved. It's what you buy where. Even found Waitrose has some bargains, though nothing at M&S.

I've been using a free web site called mysupermarket.co.uk to put together my shopping list. I put together the list based on Asda, but you can choose most of the major supermarkets.

You can compare the cost of getting your shopping from one or other shop as a whole, but comparing item by item is time consuming.

The system keeps a list of all the items you've bought before as a "favourites" list plus you can create list for making cakes or other recipes. The system will also highlight offers and discounts.

The prices are not always the same as in-store as home delivery has a few discounts are not available in-store.

My nearest supermarket is Asda but next door is a Lidl. Lidl are not on mysupermarket.co.uk so I take my list in there first and anything that is cheaper in Lidl I buy there and what is left I buy in Asda.

Observations:-
  • Lidl is not always cheaper, buy a long way.
  • The most consistently cheaper range is their vegetables. They also have a much longer life (so less waste).
  • Some meats are cheaper but most are more expensive
  • Some of the unknown brands are cheaper, but of these some are obvious lower quality, while others taste no different (and actually prefer)
A £43.62 shop list (April 2015) at Asda ended up costing me £38.89 after splitting my shopping between the two. That £4 saving means that every 10 weeks I get a free shop or every year I don't pay for 4 weeks (1 months) shopping. If someone offered you a guaranteed free months shopping you'd take it wouldn't you?



No comments: